Saturday, June 10, 2006

Cars

Last night our whole family went to see Cars at our local cineplex. I think that this was the first movie that we all have been to, so it was a fun experience even before the film started. As a film, Cars was entertaining, funny and enjoyable to watch. Out of the Pixar movies so far, I think this one was the least original in the story/concept department, but visually it is the best. Now it wasn't as beautiful as Finding Nemo, or as stunning as Monster's Inc, but on a whole it is the next step in animation. The scenes at night were especially amazing, the street lamps don't just cast light, they cast light into thick air, animated thick air. Even the darkness of the sky has depth and isn't just black, but somehow is real. The film seemed long, perhaps because Aravis has a short attention span and decided to remove her shoes halfway through the film. It did drag on a little, but it was well broken up with a simple story, speedy races, and humorous dialouge and moments. I especially liked the "Mater" character. Even though he was dangerously close to being a stereotypical character, he had heart and that makes up for a lot.

I'm thinking of seeing that Prarie Home Companion, of course I'm going to see Nacho Libre and Superman, this Summer is alright for movies I guess. Still nothing that I can't wait to see though... When's that Speilberg film about Lincoln coming out? That might be alright.

2 comments:

mom said...

I'm hoping to take the whole family to see Cars while we're on vacation next week.
I'm waiting to hear what you think of Prairie Home Companion--that's the one I want to see myself. Should I just wait for the DVD?
Hi to the whole family from all of us. We love you.

Benjamin Crum said...

I heard that PHC is really good. I want to see it