Sunday, June 18, 2006

3Fast3Furious: Tokyo Drift

Vin Deisel brings a smile to my face. Is that not manly to admit? I really liked the first Fast and the Furious movie. It showed me something origninal in the underground racing sub-culture. It had energy, it had style, and it had manliness with Vin. Of course it also had Paul "bro" Walker. Seriously, does he get payed based on the number of times he says "bro" in a movie. He says "bro" more times in his average movie trailer than I have said in my entire lifetime. It's not his fault I guess, most likely he was brought up in a Southern California beach bum home and his parents both said "bro" his older siblings probably called him "bro" and surely he had a little Cocker Spaniel named "Bro". Anyways, Paul Walker wasn't in this, the third installment, so really the "bro" factor doesn't come ito play in this specific review.

Tokyo Drift made a good move to show us something new, focusing on a different style of racing and a whole different country, read the title of the film and you may be able to figure out exactly which country and what style of racing I refer to. Lucas Black was the star of this film, and ever since Sling Blade I haven't liked his voice. I'm sorry, nothing personal but it just is distracting. As you probably can guess this film is not about the dialouge, so his speaking was limited and therefore we didn't have too much of a problem. The racing/drivng was fun, energetic and even exciting, the story was alright and the music was bearable, well maybe I actually liked some of the music. All in all, if you want to see a movie for fun and a bit of escapism, this is the one. Unless of couse you do race illeagally, and have a buttload of money to buy, fix-up and detail, then totally destroy Japanese racing cars. If that is you, then this movie is more like a documentary, and you should go see An Inconvenient Truth for some escapism. I'm out of here "bro"!

1 comment:

Benjamin Crum said...

hey bro, i remember you, me, our bro nate and your bud rob all saw the first FaF together... I just can't imagine paying money to see li'l'(?) bow-wow in anything