Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Wall-E

Jess, Jude, Ashley, Aravis and I all went to see "Wall-E" last night. About half-way through the previews Aravis asked me when the movie was going to start? Aravis doesn't like previews. Then the previews ended and they played the short film "Presto", which was itself worth the price of admission. I was laughing so hard, it was a good thing it was only a short film or I may have hurt myself. Then finally the movie began. It's going to become more and more difficult to review Pixar movies, since they are so consistently great. They have all been in a class all their own, and really can only be compared to themselves and great live-action films. "Wall-E" is no different. A character who cannot speak and was drawn in a computer gives a great performance. The visuals are rich and beautiful, even though they consist primarily of a desolate, trash strewn landscape. The screenplay is intelligent and thoughtful without being preachy or demeaning (see "Happy Feet" if you want to be demeaned). The use of music and cultural references throughout the film was genius, it really added a layer of context for me. In that regard I felt as though Pixar somehow moved even closer to making an important movie, not just an entertaining one. What I mean by that is that up till now they have been imaginative stroytellers, perhaps they are moving in the direction of using that talent for a higher purpose. Of course that is both exciting and scary at the same time. Spielberg made "Schindler's List", Mel Gibson made "The Passion of the Christ" and Oliver Stone is making "W". My point is that truly great films have more than just great stories, and I think Pixar is on the path to a truly great film. "Wall-E" is funny, heart-warming, exciting, stunning and memorable. Now I know what you're thinking; "tell us something we didn't already know!"... Since I don't have anything new to tell you, I'm just going to show you my list of the order of Pixar films from 'most best' to 'less best'... Here it is:

1. "Finding Nemo"
2. "Monsters Inc."
3. "Ratatouille"
4. "Toy Story 2"
5. "Wall-E"
6 "The Incredibles"
7. "A Bug's Life"
8. "Toy Story"
9. "Cars"

Hopefully "Toy Story 3" will be at the top of the list next year, at the very least it'll bump "Toy Story 2" down to #5. Batman's almost here! Aren't you excited yet?!

1 comment:

mom said...

Peter,
The kids all went to see Wall-e today. Nobody appeared to be blown away, although I did hear positive feedback on the Presto short. Both William and Jesse said they preferred IronMan and Kung Fu Panda.

World magazine has two articles, one about the Pixar filmmaking process, and the other about the director of Wall-e. If you haven't read them, you should. It's in the most recent "books" issue, I believe, which also features the newest genre of books in the Christian marketplace--the graphic novel. I believe the magazine is available online, but if not I would be happy to send you a copy.
Love, Mom