Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight

Where to begin? There is so much that could be written and discussed about this film, and this will just be the start for me. Of course I am only in the early stages of contemplating the overwhelming scope of the film, so don't be surprised if I miss entire points or contradict myself later on. "The Dark Knight" is a great sequel. In that, I mean that it depends so deeply on the first film, that you must have seen "Batman Begins" to fully appreciate and understand this film. For me that is a strength, I don't like treading over old ground just for the sake of newbies, and I respect that the director Christopher Nolan didn't dumb it down. At the same time, this film was not as introspective as the first. There was less Bruce Wayne struggling with Batman and more Bruce Wayne being Batman. I understand how for most people that would be a good selling point, but as I get older I prefer to know why people do things than to just watch them doing things. Perhaps that is too harsh a criticism, because the doing, the action was incredible, and there was plenty of the internal struggling, the hard choices and the twisting plot to make anyone happy. And there is the point of the the movie; 'choices'. Here is where I would start to give away too much by saying any more, but I was pleasantly surprised with how the film was obvious and subtle in how the central thread revealed itself. At first it seemed as thought the film was on one track, then after a gradual shift, bam! it hit me that I had been taken someplace completed unexpected. I will say that the cast of characters this time around was even bigger and stronger than the first film. There are six main characters, each of whom is essential to the plot, which in and of itself lends complexity and depth to the story. I especially like the relationship that Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) and Alfred (Michael Caine) have in the film. In the other Batman films Alfred was a Johnny-on-the-spot butler, here as in "Batman Begins" he is so much more, and Batman would be lost without him. And Finally for now, the best part of this new Batman is far and away Heath Ledger's Joker. I find it difficult to separate my continued sadness over his passing, from a great appreciation of his work in this film. He does become immersed in the role, yet he is still there himself, that same kid from "A Knights Tale" and "10 Things I Hate About You". As Joker, he is everything I could want in a villain; evil, intelligent, ruthless, creepy, funny, unpredictable, and violent. Batman needed a worthy opponent, and in Heath Ledger's Joker he got more than he bargained for. "Do you want to see a magic trick?"

No comments: