Tuesday, July 01, 2008

No Direction Home and I'm Not There

First off, let me say that I can hardly believe that "No Direction Home" originally was broadcast almost 3 years ago! It's one of those films that sticks with me, and now whenever I hear Dylan music, I see footage from this film. I know I've talked to quite a few of you about how much I liked the film when I saw it, and now that I've seen "I'm Not There", I have an even greater appreciation for the first film. Let me start again by reviewing the weaker film, even though it's chronologically the most recently viewed.

"I'm Not There" tries to present itself in the style of a Bob Dylan song. You're never supposed to be sure about the order of context of the images and characters that you're seeing. Everything is meant to seem random and far out, yet be deep and meaningful at the same time. Somehow Dylan is able to convey strong emotion with lyrics that otherwise make no sense at all. This movie fails utterly in its attempt to do the same. Its only success is in one performance that captures Dylan as he was and an other performance that doesn't seem to fit in a Dylan movie, yet works on its own somehow. First, Cate Blanchett does meet all the expectations of the buzz surrounding her portrayal of Dylan. At first it is distracting, especially considering some of the gender specific issues dealt with, but then she gets rolling, and delivers some dialogue that seems so perfectly Dylan, that I was blown away. She is for sure one of the best actresses (or actors) of all time. The other positive note was Heath Ledger's performance. He was convincing and filled out the role that was written for him. Unfortunately like so much of the film, the part which he played didn't really fit into place at all. As a stand alone character, it definitely was good, and really that's all you can expect from an actor, the rest is up to the director, and in this case the director let down the whole cast.

"No Direction Home" is Martin Scorsese's documentary about Bob Dylan. Recently I wrote about "Shine A Light", which was a concert film, a brief glimpse at a day in the life of the Rolling Stones. "No Direction Home" is a true documentary, investigating the life of a man from not only his own perspective, but also from those who were there, his friends, co-workers and followers. Just the old footage and interviews would have made for an interesting film, but throw in Scorsese's direction and you've got greatness. Scorsese tells Dylan's life not as a biography, but as dramatic piece of history. Here's a man who was the leader of a movement, yet refuses to acknowledge his role, and even went to the extreme of turning his back on the movement, quite literally. The film shows Dylan as a selfish, introverted genius. My guess is that Scorsese is one of the only directors who can so directly portray a mans dark side, yet in the end he is unequivocally the hero. If you want to learn more about one of the most influential men in American culture, and you want some great music too, this film is for you. My favorite parts take place when Dylan stared playing an electric guitar. Just listen to the music, and watch how the crowd reacts, it's amazing. This film ends so early in Dylan's career that I can only hope that Scorsese would make two or three more films continuing the story.

No comments: