Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon and Shrek 4

"How To Train Your Dragon" was a fun adventure. Unlike other recent releases ("Iron Man 2") this movie actually has a sense of wonder. We are transported to another place and time. We meet a interesting cast of characters and variety of unique dragon species. There is a simple story, yet this isn't so much about what or why, rather it's a movie about who and how. The relationships, between father and son, girl and boy, and human and dragon, this is the good stuff. The fact that the people here are vikings made everthing all the more entertaining. The voices, the attitudes and the beards, all made this movie better. The main dragon and his human counterpart are the center of the movie, and I liked them both. The drogon reminded me of Stitch (from "Lilo and Stitch") and since I really love that character, it worked here as well. The emotion and communication is so dependent on facial expression and body language, I believe that can either make or break the effectiveness of a film, and here it works amazingly well.

"Shrek 4" may not be as bad as "Shrek 3" (it's hard for me to say since I've tried to erase most Shrek from my mind). Sure there are funny moments. The filmmakers know the funniest material because they actually use a time warp element in order to ensure we return in time to see the funniest part a second time. Unfortunately, like with so many sequels, what made the first one truly original, barely exists in this fourth installment. Should I talk about the animation or the voice work or even the music? What's the point? Blah, blah, and a little more blah. How in the days after "Ratatouille" can animators make "Shrek 4" and bare to look at themselves in the mirror? I guess (to answer my own question) it must be the paychecks sitting on the table next to the mirror in their grand hall of their Hollywood mansions. Maybe if I didn't help support these second rate artist wannabes, crap like "Shrek 5" won't get made...

No comments: