Saturday, June 12, 2010

The A-Team

Except for the last major sequence, this was all in all a pretty good movie. Some of you might not know (Mom) that I grew up on the A-Team. Part of an episode here, a few brief flashes there. I seem to remember a very small black and white television in the corner of my parent's room as being our primary viewing location. (This is also how we watched Dukes of Hazard I believe). You didn't have to watch every week, or see a whole episode to quickly get the gist of the show and understand the characters and their relationship to each other. In television this is an attribute. Understand your viewers and give them entertainment. And in the case of A-Team it wasn't a bad thing. What kept us watching was the action and the funny dialogue. Colorful characters and a variety of locations also kept the show fresh from week to week. Then of course there was Mr. T, Hannibal, Face and my personal favorite Murdoch... Has ever a better team of mercenaries ever been assembled? This brings you to my perspective when approaching the movie last night. How could a 2 hour Hollywood movie compare to childhood memories formed over some of the most impressionable years of my life? Let's just say I had fun. It was kind nostalgic trip down memory lane. Liam Neeson paid tribute to Hannibal, which some of you will read as a kind of ridiculous waste of time, but that's what old people think about things they don't understand. The rest of the cast also did a great job of portraying familiar characters, while at the same time making them their own. The screenplay captured the main elements of the television series (there's a problem, A-Team fixes it). And it was funny script with plenty of nods to what I remembered most about the show. I won't spoil the best part of the movie, but I will say that it completely captured my feelings about current film making trends and made fun in a good old fashioned A-Team way. Would it be too cliche for me to say that I pity the fool who doesn't see this movie?

No comments: