Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Twilight (so far)

So the other night I gave the first "Twilight" movie a chance...(and watched the second one the following night)...

Jess had already seen the first one, and had liked aspects of it, and since I have a feeling I'll be watching the third one this Summer, I though it best to get caught-up. That being said, I heard a comedian not too long ago say that he'd just watched "Twilight". He said that "Footloose" is a better vampire movie than "Twilight", and he was right. The makers of the "Twilight" series display a real lack of knowledge when it comes to their subject matter. I'm sure that this has been discussed in extensive detail elsewhere, so I won't go into it. On the other hand these movies aren't about vampires or werewolves, rather they are about people. Teenage angst. The feeling of being old beyond your years. Frustration that the world is passing you by and the things you long for seem so distant and unattainable. I think the movies do a good job of tapping in to that human condition, and the characters do represent honest emotions. The movies are also lush visually. Sure the makeup and the close-ups and the slow motion are obviously overdone, but hey, it all fits the package. I found myself snickering when wolf-boy takes off his shirt, but then I'm not a fifteen year old girl (no offense to my favorite sister). When vampire-boy and Bella kiss, I can't help but think that his body is ice cold, no blood pumping to warm his lips, how can she enjoy it? But then I guess different things turn on different people, so who am I to judge?
The best vampire movies know why we a both afraid and drawn to the idea of vampires. They possess immortality and supernatural abilities, yet they also represent the dark, addictive, lost nature of man. The moral is that there is a price to pay for selling your soul, and the price always outweighs the rewards.

Now I don't know how this "Twilight" series is going to turn out, my impression is that somehow, if your love is strong enough, even the pitfalls of vampirism can be lessened, and life can be at least bearable for the damned.

No comments: