Friday, April 23, 2010

David Mamet

Years ago I was blown away by "Glengarry Glen Ross" It was one of the most boring movies visually, yet one of the most captivating to listen to. An eye opening experience (or ear opening I guess) in realizing how important writing is in film. The reason I write today about Mamet is that I just watched "Redbelt" for the first time. It is truly amazing how a little film that is written well can be such a captivating experience. People that react to what has happened. Not in a contrived plot sense. Sure, in the upcoming Summer blockbusters people are going to do and say stuff, but it will all be a slave to the plot. Mamet makes me feel that the plot serves the words. I mean when someone says something it impacts what happens next. Words and actions have true consequences in a Mamet screenplay. The most powerful moment in this film is a slap. But the slap can't stand alone. There must be a build-up and a reaction to the act of a slap. In a few weeks people will be watching Iron Man flying around blowing stuff up. He'll say something and Gwyneth Paltrow will say something funny in return. But in the end I will be left with an shallow memory of having been entertained. "Redbelt" is burned into my memory, and I believe was a worthwhile time spent watching a film.

I look back at other films by Mamet; "The Spanish Prisoner", "Heist" "Ronin", "Hannibal" and "The Edge". I think all of them were entertaining, and very importantly different from each other. "Redbelt" is his latest, and I think his best. So in a world of write-by-numbers, dumb it down for the masses, it's nice to think that Mamet is only getting better.

No comments: