Friday, April 23, 2010

Kick-A**

Typically I never look at Roger Ebert's review of a movie until after I've written about it myself. I hope that my ideas come across as my own, and then I compare my perspective to his. I mention this only because as I was skimming through his site I caught the first few lines of his "Kick-A**" review. To tell the truth I was going to give an overall positive review of the movie, but after seeing his thoughts I began to question myself. The title character of this movie is an average New York City high schooler, who wants to be a super hero. This is one of those self-aware, self-narrated, tongue in cheek dark comedies that is meant to be funny by being outrageous. I will admit that I liked the movie. It is one of those fast paced, well written visceral experiences that sucks you in, while you're in your seat. Now what Ebert so clearly states is that this movie is morally reprehensible. One of the supporting characters (who steals every scene she's in) is an eleven year old girl. He mother was killed when she was young, and her father has trained her to assist him in their pursuit of vengance. Now on one hand, seeing an eleven year old girl do the stuff she does is pretty amazing. No matter what special effects they used, this is one talented little actress. But (to quote "Jurassic Park") it seems they were so busy wondering if they could make a little girl fly through the air and slice bad guys heads off, that they didn't stop to consider if they should. I am reminded of "The Professional" with a young Natalie Portman, that was a gritty, reaistic glimpse at a similar situation. This is a good example of how the approach to certain subjects is so important. Real life is messy. It is sad that people who are too young often deal with the harsh realities of this world. I think it can be a good thing to make films that address these concerns, but "Kick-A**" is not the way to do it.

No comments: