Thursday, June 25, 2009

Transformers 2

The first Transformers movie was exactly what fun Summer blockbusters are supposed to be. It was huge, action packed, funny and way over the top. Micheal Bay, Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox were perfect together, and the Transformers themselves were just plain awesome. Now of course I didn't say "Transformers" was a great film or anything, but it was great for what it was. Now comes "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen", and unfortunately this movie upholds the long running tradition of sequels not quite living up to the level of the original. "Transformers 2" has got everything the first one has, even more, but it's not enough. (I must interject here and note that Jude would disagree with me, and thinks that we need to get this movie as soon as it comes out on video, and that "Transformers" is now "boring") This time we get more of everything; more dogs, more Transformers, more girls, more explosions... but it's just not as fun. Now I know what you're saying, I know that you already knew this and wonder why I seem surprised. Well, I'm not surprised, maybe it's just the kid in me that always hopes to just be blown away every time I see a movie like this. Alas, I am no longer a child and therefore I must be disappointed by "Transformers 2". Let me say a few more things though, just to make some side comments: I really did like some of the new characters, and some of the nods to Transformers I actually played with (the construction vehicles for example). I liked the cultural references, specifically Bumblebee's use of movie clips to express himself. I don't understand why the Micheal Bay decided to have the whole Megan Fox/Shia LaBeouf relationship-in-question storyline, it seemed so overdone and out of place. And finally I think it's interesting that in the first "Transformers" President Bush is onscreen, yet although President Obama gets a mention, only his bumbling Security Advisor gets any camera time. Is the fact that his Advisor is such an idiot a knock against the President? Or, was that not the intent at all and the filmmakers didn't want to cast any light on the President at all? Discuss amongst yourselves...

No comments: