Sunday, June 07, 2009

Eminem vs U2

I'm no usually one for writing about music, actually I am always interested in what my brothers have to say and mostly take their advice on such matters. I recently listened to Emenim's latest album and was struck by something that I wanted to share with anyone who cares to continue reading...

Eminem connects with his audience in a way that no one else has been able to. It is one of the basest, most raw and probably one of the saddest connections I've ever experienced. We live in a fallen world. Many around us have been the victims of horrible abuse. Many of us are guilty of hatred and shameful behaviour. All of us are sinners. Eminem addresses all of this so directly, so honestly. When he hates someone and wishes he could kill them, he doesn't beat around the bush, he pours his heart out about it. Don't get me wrong, I am not complimenting Eminem on this response, on the contrary, I find this to be a very destructive kind of music. At the same time, just like "The Godfather", "Pulp Fiction" and "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood" isn't it kind of exciting to experience someone else's life for a while, to live on the wrong side of the law?

The reason I chose to compare Eminem to U2 in this little review is this; both have recently released new albums, and I find that in different ways I am drawn to both. The conclusion I have reached is this; Eminem's time is up, his novelty has worn off. Eminem struck a chord, and continues to strike the same one over and over again. It's good to know that he's out there, and I think it is important to deal with the issues he addresses. There is hurt and suffering going on in the homes around us and we should not ignore it. At the same time U2, with their album "No Line on the Horizon" sees the same world, sees the same suffering and despair; yet they have hope. Maybe there isn't a straight direct message in their album as to where that hope comes from, or maybe there is? Personally that is what I take away from the album each time I hear it. I would recommend avoiding the Eminem, and giving U2 a chance if you haven't already. There's enough fallen world all around us already.

2 comments:

Matthew R. Crum said...

The new Eminem, not as good as the old! Thanks to 30 second samples on iTunes I can get a feel for an album without even buying it, and in the case of the latest Slim Shady disc, I didn't like what I was hearing. If I want to listen to Em, the Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show will do just fine. I like the new Green Day, the new Dave Matthews is good, and for the diehard Coldplay fan they're offering a FREE 9-song live album (giving it away at their shows at online at their website). Since enough brothers have given U2 a positive review I may just check them out as well.

Benjamin Crum said...

Have you seen the preview for the movie with Jack White, The Edge and some guy from an old band?