Sunday, June 21, 2009

Imagine That

I'm taking each of my children out to a movie this Summer, just me and one child. Ashley got to go first and we went to see "Imagine That". I must admit that I haven't been impressed by any of Eddie Murphy's "family" films, and for the most part actually have avoided them. I was pleasantly surprised, Ashley and I really enjoyed this movie together. Sure it follows some very predictable plot conventions, but the way it gets there is very interesting and refreshing. Eddie Murphy plays a successful investment advisor who doesn't have time for his seven year old daughter (played by Yara Shahidi). His daughter developes some imaginary friends, apparently to make up for the lack of relationship with her father. Murphy's character takes notice of these imaginary friends when they start giving him excellent stock advice when he needs it most. Of course the film is really about this father/daughter relationship, and the goal is to straighten Murphy's character out so that he will put his family before his career. What made this film stand out fer me is that it didn't take the easy way out or shortcuts to solving the problems at the root of the story. So often we don't see that we have shortcomings or priorities that are out of whack. When they are brought to our attention it is often difficult to know where to start. And when we're on the road to recovery it doesn't mean there won't be hiccups or hurt along the way. This film approached these ideas in a way that felt right, without being too Hallmark, or too abrasive. I liked how the daughter couold get her feelings hurt, but forgive her father so freely, that's a wonderful thing about children. Eddie Murphy's father character was actually more stubborn, and it seemed to take longer for him to come around to being the man he should be. That seemed to ring all too true.
I also must say that all the Beatles covers, and the theme of Beatles music throughout benefitted the my overall perspective on the film. As with "I Am Legend" and "Wall-e" from a year or so ago, whenever a movie borrows a musical them (and does it well) it contributes so much texture to the film. Other artists have already created something that now gives a cultural reference to the new material. "Imagine That" does a lot right, and it was a fun evening with my oldest daughter.

No comments: