Sunday, January 22, 2017

Split

I guess it was inevitable that eventually M. Night Shyamalan would choose to utilize absolutely-no-twist-at-all as a twist in one of his films, and believe me, I was surprised.  Split is the greatest argument so far for not watching trailers; if you've seen one, you've seen the other.  The crafting of this film was excellent, Shyamalan's storytelling, the editing, and James McAvoy's acting were all top-notch.  Unfortunately, that was all evident in the trailer, along with the entire storyline, cast of characters, and for any experienced moviegoer, the obvious ending was clear.  That's how I knew that the ending would be significantly different; but I was wrong.

Perhaps this is Shyamalan's commentary on pop culture, and fanboys with too much time on our hands.  He gave us exactly what the trailer promised, and nothing more.  Maybe I'll learn my lesson and never watch a trailer again.

Once good thing has already come out of watching Split; it prompted me to revisit one of Shyamalan's other films, one that I had only seen once 17 years ago.  It's better than I remembered.

No comments: