Saturday, December 19, 2015

Star Wars Episode Seven: The Force Awakens - Full Review (spoilers included)

It is a great accomplishment that J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have introduced three new characters that outshine their Original Trilogy counterparts.  Star Wars: The Force Awakens is about the next generation of heroes to occupy the Star Wars universe.  I must admit that for me this was unexpected; I had so much anticipation for Luke, Leia, and Han Solo that I wasn't expecting much from their kids...

I have been affected by the death of Han Solo in a strange way.  As I write that, I recognize that Han Solo is a fictional character, yet unlike so many historical figures of supposed importance, I actually grew up watching and admiring Han Solo.  I may always have consciously grasped that he was merely an actor playing a part, but the impression on a young mind is made with permanency.  The death of Han Solo took place in The Force Awakens for two two reasons:  First, the obvious one, is that Ben Solo's path towards the Dark Side is solidified by the act of murdering his own father.  The second purpose is that the void left in Han Solo's death is filled by Rey; somehow Abrams and Kasdan have created the ultimate Star Wars character - the spirit of Han Solo and the Jedi daughter of Luke Skywalker.

While ultimately it was Abrams and Kasdan who envisioned a bold transition from one generation to the next, much credit must be given to the actors and craftsmen who made the three new main characters come to life.  Daisy Riley as Rey, John Boyega as Finn, and the people over at Industrial Light and Magic who brought BB-8 to life made The Force Awakens an incredibly entertaining movie.

If you don't like Star Wars, all I can say is that I feel sorry for you, because the amount of imagination, ingenuity, and sense of wonder on display is simply extraordinary.

P.S.  I like how Abrams snuck some light saber specific lens flares into the main duel... nice.

No comments: