Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Creed

I really don’t like boxing movies – except for Rocky, Rocky IV, Rocky Balboa, Raging Bull, The Fighter, Cinderella Man, Million Dollar Baby, The Hurricane, and now Creed.  I must admit that I haven’t seen Ali or Daniel Day Lewis’ The Boxer, so they might be on the list too.  Maybe I do like boxing movies after all.

Creed focuses on the same thing other boxing movies do, pretty much everything except boxing.  Sylvester Stallone understands this better than anyone, which is probably why he’s been so successful with the Rocky franchise, and explains how he can be at the center of a boxing film without lifting a finger.  I mean this with all sincerity – my least favorite part of a boxing movie is the climax, when the coach has to re-open the hero’s eyes so that he/she can keep on fighting.  I prefer the part when Rocky gets to use unconventional training techniques to convey a meaningful life lesson.  I know that you’re probably having a difficult time taking me seriously right now, but it’s the truth.


I don’t have anything to say about Creed that would be much different from any other of the boxing movies on my list.  I should equate boxing movies with comfort food – well comfort food that has a black eye, a split lip, and eats raw eggs.  Let me ask you this though; could a movie where Sylvester Stallone gets to say “Yo Adrian” possibly be bad?

No comments: