Thursday, January 08, 2015

Hoop Dreams


I've wanted to watch Hoop Dreams for about twenty years, and yesterday I finally did.  In those twenty years I have seen quite a few movies, including Speed 2 and a live-action version of Alvin and the Chipmunks.  Why do I waste my time with such garbage when films like Hoop Dreams remain unwatched?  There's no good answer to that question, so let me simply discuss a great film and pretend that those other ones never existed.
Film can be a powerful medium, whether the images have been manipulated to illicit a specific reaction, or as in the case of Hoop Dreams is used as a window into an otherwise unseen world.  High school basketball is the backdrop of this film, but it is really about choices, attitudes, family, and consequences… life.  There was a point early in the film that prompted my suspicion; "are the filmmakers only showing one side of the story?"   As the film unfolds naturally, chronologically, my doubts were dispelled.  The film doesn't show contrasting points of view as one might expect in a political debate, instead it becomes clear that life isn't always that clear cut.  The film follows two boys from Chicago, William and Arthur, each playing on a competing high school basketball teams.  William's coach seems more interested in winning basketball games than in building the character of his players.  I got this impression from the things William said about him and from his own words during onscreen interviews.  Yet he is a basketball coach, tasked with generating revenue for the school.  Also, he does instill strong values and has high expectations of his players.  While I ended up not liking him, I believe that I came to that conclusion myself.  A great documentary has something you need to see – it shouldn't tell you what to think, if it shows you something true then it doesn't have to.
I finally got around to watching Hoop Dreams because it was considered to be "the great American documentary" by Roger Ebert.  Another film I have been looking forward to is Life Itself, a documentary about Ebert by the filmmaker of Hoop Dreams.  It just seemed natural to watch the one before the other.  I will let you know what I think about the more recent film soon (hopefully it'll take less than twenty years).

No comments: