Saturday, January 02, 2010

The Road

I just got home from seeing "The Road". This is a difficult film to review, and I'll tell you why. O yeah, if you've read the book and plan on seeing the film, maybe you should read this later. At the same time, if you've read the book, I kind of wonder why you'd want to relive this story in the theater. This film is difficult to review because it asks some tough questions, and it is effective in creating an atmosphere of dread and despair. Yet it also fails to be convincing in certain areas. There are many holes in the realism of the events that unfold throughout.

The story is about a father and his young son, as the wander through a post-apocalyptic America. As with most movies in this genre they must carefully dodge other survivors, scavenge for food and make decisions that go to the very core of their humanity. The strength of the film was in it's presentation and understanding of those questions. How far am I willing to go to survive? Is survival the most important goal? Unfortunately the events, and the way the main characters react, are the weakness of this film. Do you set up camp in the noisiest part of the woods if you're concerned about cannibals sneaking up on you? Do you walk right into a house filled with items that look like they were taken away from people who really still kinda need them?

All in all I think the film (and I'm guessing the book) had a very strong message. I did feel a connection with Viggo Mortensen's role as the father, and thereby the film was effective in making me ask myself the same questions he faced. At the same time, I can't say I enjoyed the film because it made me feel sick, sad and worried. So this was a difficult film to review.

No comments: