Saturday, January 09, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

It finally got here, so Rob and I went to see "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" last night. I really enjoyed the film, even though it took some getting used to. I had seen the trailer, but didn't really know what the movie was going to be about. I was pleasantly surprised to learn how imagination was so strongly incorporated into the story, thereby explaining the strangeness of the visuals. The unique, fantastical atmosphere also helped soften (actually almost make invisible) the unfortunate fact that Heath Ledger was unable to complete his role in the film. I thought the performances by the actors who filled in for his character, were right on and a respectful tribute. Johnny Depp especially seemed to be honoring Ledger in the way he approached his part. The story as it is here in the finished film was also very well done. I think that if you didn't know the story behind the film, you may never notice the changes that had to be made. Christopher Plummer is just right as Dr. Parnassus, and I actually liked all of the casting. The special effects at first seemed too weird, but as the film went on everything melded together and I found myself enjoying the atmosphere created by the filmmakers. As I said before, this is a fitting tribute to Ledger, and I think worth a view specifically for that reason. Yet, "The Dark Knight" and other of Ledger's films will have a much longer lasting impact.

No comments: