Sunday, October 04, 2009

Zombieland

I rolled out of bed around 9:00 on Saturday morning. It was a cool, crisp Colorado Fall day, so Jess and I decided to head up into the mountains with the kiddos and take in the colors of the changing leaves. We stopped in at Dunkin Donuts to get a well-rounded, healthy breakfast of Maple covered Long Johns, toasted Coconut and Chocolate-filled donuts. I don't know why, but for some reason I was struck by the friendliness on display, first thing in the morning, in a random store in Colorado Springs. The line for coffee and donuts stretched out of the store, into the atrium. This meant that between the store and the atrium a door had to be held open to keep the line in check. As we moved forward, the passing of the responsibility of door-holder was exchanged with extreme politeness. As I passed off my place to the guy behind me, he asked me if I knew when the Rockies game started, and when I answered to the best of my knowledge, he took it as a cue to discuss his favorable opinion of college football versus professional. I remarked that he was correct, and obviously college football is a pure version of what the NFL has so outrageously corrupted. Now this little experience struck me at the time, but the reason I'm conveying it to you is that after seeing "Zombieland" later Saturday night, the events of my morning had an even more significant meaning. "Zombieland" is about a group of four strangers who are the last remnant of humanity. It is about thier interaction with each and how no matter how bad things get there is always something inside that separates them from beasts. Now I'm not going to get into the philosophy (or lack thereof) actually contained in this film. I just found it to be an interesting coincidence that I'd see evidence of human kindness in the morning, then see it so prominently displayed in the unlikely place of a zombie movie. On top of that, if you take into account the political climate that the media is attempting to paint, one of stark contrasts and unjustified disagreements. And on top of that you add a Michael Moore movie attacking the very fabric of our society. Isn't it odd that America chose to come together and see a movie that lifts up the human struggle, instead of on that breaks it down?

Oh yeah, and "Zombieland" was a really funny movie (with zombies doing zombie stuff mind you).

No comments: