Saturday, October 17, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are

The book "Where The Wild Things Are" was about childhood angst, and the use of imagination to defeat that angst. The book was direct and efficiently and beautifully made its point. Spike Jonze has adapted this classic book into a film that retains everything from the book and expands upon it. Where the book really lumps all of Max's emotions into a group of wild things, the film "Where The Wild Things Are" gives each monster individuality, each of which denotes a specific attribute or feeling that Max has. I liked how throughout the film Max sympathizes with each of the wild things, and we sense that he is actually recognizing his connection to each character and helping based on his personal experience. With all this being said, this didn't really do much for me. I recognized what Jonze was doing, but personally I never had childhood angst. I can appreciate Max's imagination, but imagination for me was always an expansion, never an escape. What I really loved about this film were its visuals. The wild things are amazing technical achievements. Max was wonderfully cast, and his interaction with the people in his life and the wild things was right on. Many times I found that I was lost in the atmosphere of the film, it's as good as the book, yet I never felt it was a gimmick or distracting. Finally I will say that my friend Rob is right, this is a movie for adults who understand and love the book. It's difficult for me to believe that children of unimaginative adults could appreciate this film for what it is. Therefore all children should read the book, grow up, then see this movie.

1 comment:

Nathaniel said...

I love the book. It is my favorite book of all time. I love the illustrations and the story and the way the story is told. I understand the childhood of Max. I also fully loved the movie. I think it may be my favorite movie right now. I will have to see it a couple more times to really know. I would also agree that this is a movie for adults. I don't see children understanding it. And, I also agree that parents (all parents, even crazy homeschooling parents) should get this book and read it over and over to thier kids, and than, when the kids grow up, they can see and enjoy the movie for themselves.