Sunday, August 02, 2009

Funny People

This is by far the funniest Adam Sandler movie I've ever seen. So often in comedies I feel as thought the dialogue is being forced on me, like someone took a stand-up routine and tried to apply it to a real life situation. The reason this film works is that it's about stand-up comedians, and therefore the writing fits perfectly into the context of the story. Last night I thought that it would be fitting for me to write that "Funny People" is the "Annie Hall" of the current generation. That might be a little too strong of a compliment, but relatively speaking it's about as close as we're probably going to see. This is an introspective film, with characters who aren't afraid to examine themselves from the perspective that we see. The Sandler character specifically knows his weaknesses and fears. He doesn't change magically overnight, but we get the sense that his heart desires to lead him to become a better person. Sure, what slows this film down, as in any comedy, is an attempt to be meaningful. At the same time I think it's a smart move to make "Funny People" about both 'people' and 'funny'. I was interested that the filmmakers used Adam Sandler as they did, considering that I've seen him from very early in his career all the way through all his prime, his fame his attempt to be taken seriously. For him to take this role so head-on worked perfectly, and I admire him for it. Finally, as a warning, just as "Annie Hall" wasn't a family film, this isn't either. Keeping in step with the trend of comedies today, "Funny People" is funny without any real sense of boundaries. Perhaps comedians have always been on the edge, saying things that we all think but social standards keep us from saying. Is shocking people, or talking about private matter necessary to make them laugh? I was just trying to think of some Biblical examples of humor, obviously my favorite is pretty disgusting and comes at someones expense; Ehud stabs King Eglon, who is so fat that the handle of the sword gets covered up by the flab. Then to make things even funnier, the Kings servants don't find out until it's too late because they think the King is just taking time going to the bathroom... I'm sure many of you can come up for different reasons that this account is included in such detail in the Bible. As for me, it is either the worst kind of humiliation against the King and his descendants, or it's just plain bathroom humor. I'm not trying to justify all the humor in "Funny People" with this example, I guess I just think it's interesting that there is this base level at which many people are amused, and if there are examples in God's Word, can it all be bad?

1 comment:

Nathaniel said...

This looks really good to me, but I haven't been able to see it yet. I am afraid that I am slacking in the movie watching business.