Sunday, March 30, 2008

Shine A Light

Before I review this film I thought it would be appropriate explain my introduction and consequential relationship with the Rolling Stones. What may make this story more interesting is the notable absence of the Rolling Stones from my childhood. I grew up with The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beach Boys and The Eagles. In high school I went a little further with The Doors, Creedence, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. I may be leaving out some obvious names here, but in retrospect for me it's the Rolling Stones who should of been there. Had I heard any of their stuff? Sure, but it had never made a big enough impact to encourage me to explore any further. It wasn't until I was in my early to mid twenties that my boss bought the double CD "Forty Licks" and played it at work. Of course as is true with all "Greatest Hits" compilations this set doesn't capture the Stones completely, but it does show a side and a range I hadn't heard before. On top of that, my boss is a big Rolling Stones fan. I think he likes the Stones in the way I like The Beatles, and that's saying quite a bit. When you talk about and listen to music with someone who really loves it, it makes you see it in a different way. So later in life I came to appreciate and more than that, really like much of the Rolling Stones music. Sure I love some of their better known stuff; 'Paint it Black', 'Sympathy for the Devil', 'Brown Sugar' and 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'. But I really like some of the more obscure stuff; 'Shattered', 'A Fool To Cry', and 'Emotional Rescue'. What sucks is that I kind of feel like after discovering the Rolling Stones, it's all over. I've heard everything good ever made now and I'm never going to have that experience again. Rock and Roll isn't dead yet because Keith Richards, Ringo Starr, and Bob Dylan are still alive, but it'll be dead soon.

"Shine A Light" is every rock band's dream; Martin Scorsese directing a film about a concert starring a great band. I'm not sure how much of the film was staged (no pun intended), personally if Scorsese offered to film my life, I would give him full access and control, leaving nothing to chance. Scorsese suggests that the Stones wouldn't give him a song list of their concert until moments before they walked on stage. All that doesn't really matter, the final product is probably the greatest concert film ever. Sure Mick Jagger can't really sing his songs very well any more, and the songs in the movie aren't even the best they have to offer. But none of that matters either. The film is about capturing something for history. We get to see the last remaining Rock band together on stage, pouring out their hearts through their performances. It's not about Mick Jagger, it's not about the music, it's about the band and what they represent. Don't get me wrong, I haven't fallen blindly for what is mostly attractively packaged trash. The Rolling Stones have and always will stand for personal gratification and I admit that's bad. But they also embody freedom and charisma that are qualities to be admired. Scorsese likes the Stones for all that they represent, and it is clear in how he portrays them here. If you want to see one of the last real Rock-n-Roll movies ever made, "Shine A Light" is for you. If you're saying to yourself, "But isn't Creed rock too? then you might as well just stay home and watch some television.

1 comment:

Benjamin Crum said...

I misread that last sentence and thought it said "Cream" and I was like... what's wrong with Cream?!? Oh... Creed... now I get it.