Saturday, October 20, 2007

Michael Clayton and Stranger Than Fiction

Alright, I saw both of these movies about a week ago, but I think it's best to write about them now before I see my next movies.

"Michael Clayton" was one

Let me stop myself right there, I just saw a preview for "Be Kind Rewind" over on the Quicktime trailer site, and it looks super funny, my kind of movie alright.

Anyways, "Michael Clayton" was one of those movies that was good, and I want to write a good review about it, but as you can see it has taken a week for me to get around to writing about it. Geoerge Clooney was very good. Instead of being a invincible star, he plays Machael as a fallible, unsure, older guy. He's been through quite a bit, he's got personal issues, but he has a mission. All that extra baggage makes his character more believable and interesting. I think the ending of the movie is more satisfying because it took so much hard work to get there. The best part of the movie though was the protaganist played by Tilda Swinton. I don't think I've seen such a character before. She was manipulative, calculated and just plain nasty bad. At the same time she wasn't exactly having a walk in the park. The film captured her struggle with decisions and consequences as well. It's not easy being evil I guess.

I had heard good things about "Stranger Than Fiction", perhaps some of you had mentioned it. Sometimes I just don't make it to all the movies, and this was a chance to see something with Jess for the first time on video. I think the measure of great comedies, is how hard I laugh, and let me tell you I was laughing pretty hard at this one. Another measure of my enjoyment of a film at home is how much Jess enjoys it. Jess liked this one too, so it was a fun movie to wath together, and I would recommend it to almost anyone. I think that this is Will Ferrell's best movie. Perhaps this goes hand in hand with the fact that I'm super old now, but range that he demonstrates in this role shows his acting ability off quite well. The supporting cast, the quirky special effects, the music, they all support the humorous, original story, and make for a fun movie.

2 comments:

Benjamin Crum said...

Michal and I just watched Stranger than Fiction last night. What a great movie. It has been a long time since we've seen such a fresh, interesting film.

mom said...

You know I'm not a Will Ferrell fan, but Pop and I really liked Stranger Than Fiction, too.