Saturday, October 06, 2007

In The Valley of Elah

Tommy Lee Jones gets the story of David and Goliath right, for the most part. He uses the term "slingshot" and he suggests that David defeated Goliath because he overcame his own fear. The "slingshot" part doesn't bother me so much. How great it would be if someone in a movie would actually have gotten the point of that Sunday School lesson from so long ago.

I went into "In The Valley of Elah" expecting something quite a bit different from what I got, and that's a good thing. I like to be suprised, and I like a film that keeps me interested until the end. Tommy Lee Jones has always been great, and here he is as well. It's just sad to see a movie about such a hopeless subject, as seen through the eyes of such a hopeless individual. Basically good people, interacting with other basically good people in a completely fallen world. The basic premise of this movie was to condemn those who send innocent young men off to kill or be killed in places like Iraq. On one hand I have respect for anyone who is willing to speak out for what they believe in. Obviously the people making this movie saw a concern and want us to know about it. On the other hand, this movie is an outcry without hope. This brings me back to Tommy Lee Jones' explination of David without including God; it seems as though people in Hollywood can stand up to the wrong they percieve, but without God what hope do they have in overcoming?

2 comments:

Matthew R. Crum said...

Peter,
This movie was directed by the same guy who directed Crash. In the English class I am taking this semester we just watched Crash and it was so good I tracked back to see what you had thought, only to be disappointed that you didn't say too much. I would like to see Elah but get to the movies so rarely that I doubt I will see it before it comes to DVD.

Peter said...

Matt,
I liked the movie too. I think I like how some of the characters were not what they first appeared to be. Even people that have pretty nasty faults can suprise us with what is in their heart. "The Valley of Elah" isn't as hopefull in it's investigation of humanity.