Sunday, August 12, 2007

Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier

I didn't go see any new movies this past week, but I watched an old favorite with my kids. I enjoy watching movies I have great memories of with people I love. Sometimes I watch these films, especially old Disney movies, and find that my memories are quite a bit better than the actual movie. It sucks to grow old and critical. Every once in a while I come across a film that stands the test of time, and "Davy Crockett" is one of them. This is a movie from Pop's childhood, one that was extremely popular in its day, yet it is timeless in spirit. What struck me in viewing it this time is how much it resembles "The Last of the Mohicans". For a eight year old, the references to scalping and the sticking-to-your-principles-theme are just as powerful in the Disney frontier movie as they are to an adult in the Daniel Day Lewis film. I think that since both movies have a similar lush look, the ideas of rugged self-reliance and God, family, country (in that order) it is appropriate to discuss them in the same review. "Davy Crockett" is one of those movies that shaped who I am today, at least it shaped my perspective on life. I think with so many options for entertainment avaliable today, it's good to revisit the great films from our childhood and share it with a new generation. Sure, I'm looking forward to watching "The Last of the Mohicans" with Jude for the first time (in like eight more years), but for now it is good to share some of the innocence of childhood, and share good memories from my own.

No comments: