Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum

I kind of feel like I should be reserved in how I discuss this movie. If I say too much, you might be dissapointed, if I say too little, you might not realize how good this movie is. "The Bourne Identity" came out of nowhere for me. I had liked Matt Damon in his previous roles, so I went to see the movie with little else to guide my decision. The mix of action/espionage/character developement was right on in my opinion. It took two viewings of "The Bourne Supremacy" to really appreciate Paul Greengrass' directing style (let's just say it's best not viewed from the front row of the movie theater). "Supremacy" was a good sequel because it picked up right after the first one left off, and followed the characters along a logical course. When Bourne gets the initial answer to the question; "who am I", now he must figure out how he can live with the answer. "The Bourne Ulimatum" is the next step in Bourne's developement. Is it better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all? He found out in the first installment who he was, but who made him that way? Can brainwashed cold-blooded assassins find their humanity? And what happens when they do? These are everyday questions I ponder, so it's nice to finally have a series of movies that deals so maturely with the subject. Also, at the risk of giving away some good plot stuff, the best part of this movie isn't the awesome car crash, or the brilliant Bourne traps, rather it's the silent moments between Damon and Julia Stiles. That was worth the price of admission.

3 comments:

mom said...

I've really enjoyed the first two of the Bourne series--enough that Pop and I rewatch them occasionally/frequently. I've been looking forward to this third movie (although I haven't seen it yet) and plan to see it in the theater, when usually I'm content to wait for the DVD. I was hoping you'd give it a thumbs up. Thanks for the reserved review.
Love, Mom

Benjamin Crum said...

well, I stopped reading just in case there were any spoilers... going to see it tonight

Benjamin Crum said...

...okay, now I've seen it.