Saturday, April 29, 2006

United 93

I was sitting at home, in my basement, watching Fox News, CNN and MSNBC when the events of United 93 were unfolding. For me, the events of Semptember 11th were happening somewhere else, to other people. United 93 put me on the plane, with the passengers who must decide to do what is right, laying down thier lives for thier fellow countrymen. The film is effective in expressing the emotional progression of that morning; the grogginess of early morning travelers, fear and shock of the initial violent attack, panic and confusion, seeking answers and comfort, and finally resolve based on unlinching belief. This is an honarable effort by the filmmakers to pay tribute to the captive passengers and crew of United 93.

That is only part of the film though. The other significant focus is on the terrorists themselves. The film begins with them praying. These are not crazed delusional psychopaths, rather they are determined, scared, religious hijackers. This film is not about the character or motives though, just about that morning. In the context of the film, I do not know what happened yesterday to any on board United flight 93. It is not important, all that is important is what happens this morning. The one thought I had as I left the theater was this, it was actually a prayer, that God would give me strength to do what is right if I were ever faced with a decision like those captive passengers on United 93

1 comment:

Nate said...

This was a good film, a good reminder.