Sunday, January 22, 2006

End of the Spear

"End of the Spear " is a good movie. Let me just say that out of all the movies I've seen in the last year this is probably the only good movie that I have seen in the theater. This movie is an honest look at a group of men and women who are living fallen world, struggling with an inner conflict that they can't explain. The only answer is God's son, Jesus Christ, who a group of missionaries want to share with these lost people. The story is about the lost, the missionaries and thier relationship with each other. "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" was Jim Hanon's (director) documentary about the same events. Although I have never seen that film, the fact that this is the director's second time working with the material benefits this film. He seems comfortable with his characters and enviornment. The missionaries, although not vividly developed have individual personalities and their charisma for spreading God's grace is evident. The lost people are not just stereotypes as one might expect, but are also independent and unique. Obviously this movie was made to bring us one message (which I will not tell you here). That message comes through loud and clear. Is it possible that it comes through too loud and clear? Maybe that's like saying "Freedom!!!" was too loud and clear for Mel Gibson. This was a good movie. It had a good message. It had good cinematography and good direction.
Perhaps you are sensing a half-hearted positive review from me for this film. Why do I go to these Christian films and find myself almost apologizing for feeling that something was lacking. I feel bad criticizing a movie that is made by another Christian. You know me, I have no problem ripping apart any movie, even one I might like. I can tell you why "Gladiator" was the worst movie ever made, and why I'd rather see "Speed 2" again before I would even contemplate watching updated original Star Wars trilogy... "End of the Spear" was a good movie. How many times can I say this? But I want more than a good movie. My favorite part in the film was when the main character lands his airplane on a small sandbar. That was well done. It was set up to be a difficult task by dialouge earlier in the film. The filming of the scene itself had suspense and a good grasp of the danger of the situation. The payoff of the plane touching down and landing safely actually had a positive impact on me, sitting there in the theater. That is what film is about. You take an idea and through sight and sound express yourself to the audience. If a film works, it's because you have made the viewer believe or feel that idea. Speilberg does this so effortlessly that you might not even notice how he's doing it. Joaquin Phoenix does this in "The Village", there on the porch you don't think about him as an actor reciting lines, he is a man in love with a girl. "End of the Spear" is lacking something, it's not much but it is enough to keep you from crossing that line between seeing and believing. What exactly is it lacking? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's there. "End of the Spear" is a good movie.

No comments: