Sunday, February 28, 2016

Room and Spotlight

I’m in a little bit of a rush, because the Academy Awards have already started, and I want to have reviews in on all the Best Picture nominees before the winner is announced.  So I am going to tell you why I liked each of these two films:

The makers of Room believe that hope and healing are possible after even the most traumatic of conditions and experiences.  It also has a policewoman who does some excellent police work, a boy who is extremely brave, and a young woman who definitely deserves a Mother’s Day card this year (and next).


The makers of Spotlight believe in the pursuit of truth.  I think that truth and the pursuit of truth can be two completely different things.  This movie focuses and glorifies the pursuit of truth; journalists are portrayed as society’s heroes.  While the filmmakers could easily have gone too far and ventured into preachy cliché territory; I was pleasantly surprised that the film stayed grounded.  

No comments: