Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit


"The Hobbit" is plainly and simply an encore to "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.  The entire film is set within the context of Peter Jackson’s earlier films, even though “The Hobbit” chronologically occurred first.  I am not referring exclusively to Old Bilbo being the first Bilbo that we meet in “The Hobbit”, rather the motivations, characters, cinematic cues, and even the music frame this film as though it is merely “Lord of the Rings Part IV: The Hobbit (part 1)”.  Now don’t get me wrong; ever since I saw “Return of the King” for the first time, I’ve craved more “Lord of the Rings”, and it’s finally here.  Far be it from me to get involved in any discussion concerning “what’s been changed” or “what’s missing”…  Let me instead point out three very important elements which remain intact, thereby making “The Hobbit” a great retelling of Tolkien’s classic:  Dwarves showing up for dinner.  A story about golf.  Riddles.  That pretty much sums it up.  I will close by saying that New Bilbo (or Young Bilbo depending on your point of view) was cast extremely well, which pleasantly surprised me.  I am keeping this review short; because I would much rather discuss this film with each of my readers than write about it any further.  Goodnight.

No comments: