Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Brave

"Brave" is a decent movie.
Let me suggest that the greatest films Pixar  has produced would have been impossible to create without computer animation.  "Finding Nemo" and "Ratatouille" feature non-human characters that could not be convincing with live-action and would be far too limited using traditional animation.  That being said, I feel as though "Brave" was an unnecessary undertaking for Pixar.  While there is some magical shape-shifting which demonstrates the talent of Pixar's artists, this could easily have been as a special effect in a live-action film.  I would argue that computer animation shouldn't be used to replace human actors, rather as a supplement (to enhance human performances).  If the lead role in "Brave" had been played by a real little girl I would have felt a much stronger connection to what was happening in her life onscreen.  While quite a different film, "Hanna" also centered on a brave young girl; even in the most outrageous situations I found that film to be much more compelling than "Brave".  None of this is meant to detract from the qualities which definitely exist in Pixar's newest addition.  The animation is excellent, the scenery is lush, and "Brave" contains the richest musical score of any Pixar film to date.  I liked the characters, I especially enjoyed watching the girl's mother (in both forms) as her character went through an interesting transformation (on multiple levels). 
It seems to me that "Brave" was a pretty safe choice for Pixar; it has a traditional story and characters who are easy to relate to.  Personally I prefer the riskier Pixar undertakings; a rat who loves great food is exceedingly more interesting to me.

1 comment:

Peter said...

In a text describing the movie my brother Jon said, "instead of Monsters Inc. meets Braveheart you got Cars meets Pocahontas". He forgot to say, "with a dab of Brother Bear thrown-in for good measure".