Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Blind Side

Jess and I got to go out for her birthday last night and we got to see "The Blind Side" together. This is the kind of movie we both like, this kind of movie and "Ocean's Eleven". There has been much made about Sandra Bullock's likability but poor choice in starring roles. She typically goes for roles that guys like me find irritating. Yet how can anyone not like Sandra Bullock? The buzz was right on, Bullock does an excellent job in "The Blind Side" and this is an uplifting, heartwarming story (if you're into that sort of thing). This is one of those little films that knows what it's trying to accomplish and doesn't overstep its scope. What I mean is that although football is a thread, the movie never tries to be about football. There are just the right number of characters, and theses characters support the story being told. And "The Blind Side" is successful as a film by telling a dramatic, interesting, well organized story, yet feels real because it never stoops to cinematic cliche or forced cause/affect moments. I hope that Bullock takes this film to heart in future role selection. It is proof that you can make a Sandra Bullock movie that doesn't feel like it was written in an afternoon by someone who only ever has seen chick flicks and is under the impression that they are the only kind of film to make. It reminds of of the line from "The Blues Brothers"; Elwood: "What kind of music do you usually have here?" Woman: "Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western". "While You Were Sleeping" was a good movie, cream of the crop in its genre. I just hope with this movie Bullock can finally escape the genre and make films that remind us why nobody really dislikes Sandra Bullock.

2 comments:

Benjamin Crum said...

I think you are forgetting that Buttock use to star in non-chick-flick films like The Net and Speed... yet somehow, I still do not like her. Sorry, I just don't

Peter said...

I don't know if I believe you. I mean sure you might think that you don't like her. But if you search your heart and are willing to be honest with yourself I think you'll find that I'm correct. Also, by defenition I think that a movie with Sandra Bullock is a "chick flick" "Speed" was what I'd call an "Action Chick Flick" and "The Net" was a "90's Espionage Chick Flick".