Sunday, November 11, 2007

Lions for Lambs

Let me start out by saying that even though there were some cheap shots and an obvious slant towards the left in this movie, overall I found it to be suprisingly balanced, and at the very least respectful concerning the opposing views. Tom Cruise plays a slimy, polished Republican Senator. Meryl Streep plays a somewhat frumpy, expereinced journalist with a conscience. Robert Redford gets the best role as a thoughtful, good hearted professor. Most of this film takes place in offices, where conversations determine what is going to happen out in the World. I think that Redford's intention (as Director) was to make Cruise's character out as the villian, someone who represents everything Liberals hate. Now for me, as in Moore's "Farenheit 9-11" some of these scenes backfired. When a man who is a leader of our Country asks wether we want to win the War on Terror, as a 'yes' or 'no' question, or when he points out that "Rome is burning" and the time to act is now. I tend to agree with a character like that. I believe in absolutes and I like a leader who takes a stand. The response that Streep's character has to the 'yes' or 'no' question was right on, and I was suprised to see it in a Redford film. Streep did seem to have some over-reaction in her acting, although in this case I would tend to blame the editor, since the few moments that I can think of were actually unnecassary in the film. Finally, Redford's character although somewhat cliche (there I could use that sqiggly thingy over the "e" again), was a very interesting performance as well as some good writing. I like there were two parallel storylines going on that Redford basically was involved in, and that even though he had strong opinions in one direction (based on his characters personal experience) he was able to respect others and their decisions. On th day after September 11th, I was as cut and dry in my desire for retribution as the next guy. As time has gone on of course my thoughts on the matter have adjusted based on information avaliable. Regardless of my opinions of those in power, or specific cirumstances, I think it would be wrong to turn our backs on commitments we have made as a Country. From what I can tell, Redford would not justify surrender, but most likely his solution would fail because sometimes we need a dirty, slimy Republican making decisions that we hate before they're even made.

No comments: