Sunday, January 14, 2007

Open Season and Perfume

The first movie I saw in 2007 was "Open Season". Jess and I took the kids to the Dollar Theater ($1.50 Theater) on New Years Day. It was entertaining, yet as is the case with most comedies (animated and otherwise) it wasn't as funny as the trailers promised.

I didn't take the kids to see "Perfume", I don't think they would really have liked it anyway. This is a movie about style. So much is it about style that character and story are on the side, and motivation and purpose are non-existant. We follow a boy from birth through his mid-twenties as he realizes his gift of extraordinary smell, and follows his nose to a disturbing conclusion. Now here I'm going to comment on the theater I went to. It's called Kimball's Twin Peak Theater and it is located downtown in Colorado Springs. If you want to see a film with an audience who is there to appreciate film, and if you want a beer while you watch, this is the only theater in Colorado Springs where you can. Of course it would be sweet to see "Pulp Fiction" at this theater, so as to enjoy a glass of beer while Travolta talks about enjoying a glass of beer at a theater, but sadly I never have had that chance. I did get to enjoy a beer while watching "Kill Bill" which I guess is close enough. Back to "Perfume", the reason I brought up the beer is that I had a beer, actually a Laughing Lab Scottish Ale while I watched the film. This film is about capturing scent, a visual representation of smells on the big sceen. To sit back and enjoy a good beer, slowly over the course of the film, I think actually made me appreciate the film more. Of course from what I understand there are other specific films that benefit from mind altering substances, that is not quite what I'm refering to. Instead of shoveling popcorn into your face, or eating two movie sized boxes of candy, maybe it would be better to find what compliments the film and enjoy them both. I know for myself movies like "Saving Private Ryan" and The Passion of the Christ" are foodless/beverageless films. Animated films at the $1.50 Theater are no holds barred events. Watching "The Big Lebowski" is a good time to break out the heavy cream, vodka and Kahlua. "Lord of the Rings" it's rabbit stew and boiled potatoes. And of course you can probably guess what goes well with a viewing of "Silence of the Lambs".

3 comments:

Benjamin Crum said...

now that's nasty

Jonathan said...

He meant chianti and fava beans.

fht fht fht fht.

Matthew R. Crum said...

One could make the same assumptions about the menu for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; monkey brains, boa, and other jungle delicasies (sp?).