Sunday, January 21, 2018

Star Wars Episode Eight: The Last Jedi

I like that the director Rian Johnson spent time developing the characters of Rey and Kylo/Ben.    While The Force Awakens introduced these characters, it was very much a film about passing the torch from one generation to the next.  Johnson is not subtle in his approach; having Kylo smash his mask represents both a symbolic and physical rise to prominence.  In much the same way, Rey displays a fierce self-determination that motivates her to take action and do what is right, even when her reluctant mentor (Luke Skywalker) discourages her at every turn.  At first I wasn’t a fan of Johnson’s deviation from the well established Star Wars formula, but with time and reflection I have come to appreciate it.  My expectations were not fulfilled, but that’s only because I anticipated a predictable plot and character arcs.  It is far more interesting to watch a story unfold in unexpected ways, and it’s more satisfying to witness character growth instead of those who are slaves to the plot.  I have described about one third of the film, the other two thirds consist of the slowest chase sequence in the history of cinema (ironic considering the fact that the ships involved are capable of traveling at light speed).  I found that most of the film was boring, unnecessary, and sometimes not Star Wars-ish, but the sequences involving Rey and Kylo progressed the series, and I’m already looking forward to Episode Nine.

No comments: